No one ever gets in their car expecting to be in a car accident, but unfortunately, motor vehicle crashes happen every day. If you happen to be one of the unlucky people that gets in an accident, the crash and the aftermath can be very overwhelming and frightening. That is why it is important to know what to do after an accident, not just to take care of your health, but to protect your legal rights as well.
There are certain things that you are required by law to do after a car accident that involves injuries, property damage, or death, such as stopping at the scene of the accident and providing your insurance and driver’s license information. But there are other important steps that you should take, including the following:
- Contact police and report the accident. When the police receive a call, they will come to the scene and create a report about the accident. If laws were violated, a driver may receive a ticket. It is important to get a copy of this report from law enforcement because it may be used as evidence to prove who was at fault for the accident.
- Seek medical attention for you and your passengers. Even if you feel that your injuries weren’t severe, you need to be checked by your doctor for conditions that may not immediately present themselves such as internal bleeding and soft tissue injuries. Some injuries don’t rear their ugly heads for several days or weeks after the accident making it important for your doctor to document your accident in your medical records.
- Document information about the other driver and witnesses. You should always get the name, insurance information, and address of the owners or drivers of the other vehicles that were involved. Also try to get the names and contact information for witnesses to the accident. You may need their testimony later on about what happened at the accident.
- Document all relevant information about the accident. While you may think that you will remember what happened, personal injury cases can sometimes take months to complete. This means that you may not remember all of the little details. Therefore, you should write down where the accident took place and any important details that you feel might be important later on.
- Take photos of everything. To help your documentation of the accident, take plenty of photos. Take pictures of the scene of the accident, damages to the vehicles involved, and injuries of anyone that was injured, as well as any other photos that you feel might be relevant to the situation.
Contact an SC Car Accident Attorney Today
One of the most important steps you can take after the accident is to contact an experienced car accident attorney to represent you. They will make sure that you don’t do anything that might jeopardize your car accident claim and ensure that your rights are protected. They will also ensure that you meet the statute of limitations, or deadline, for filing a personal injury claim. Contact Lauren Taylor Law and schedule a consultation today and let her help you get the compensation that you deserve.
South Carolina divorce attorney Lauren Taylor is an authority on family law in Charleston and Greenville. Lauren Taylor Law is an authority on divorce, child support, and alimony in South Carolina. She graduated from the Charlotte School of Law, and has been practicing for several years now. Lauren Taylor relies on her experience and passion to fight for you during this stressful time. Learn more about her experience here.